If I had a Brain Implant… (Part 1)

MV5BMzQ1NDQ3MjUxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTY2MDczMDE@__V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_I write sci-fi thrillers about cyborgs with brain implants. I just finished the first draft of my second novel, and it is my darkest writing to date. There’s blood. And gore. And all kinds of cyborg programming gone awry. So as I begin the revision process in the New Year, I thought it would be fun to lighten things up with a new blog series.

IF I HAD A BRAIN IMPLANT…

I would sync it to the coffeemaker.

Coffee is a morning necessity for me. There are some days when I don’t even trust myself to drive to Starbucks unless I’ve already enjoyed a cup or two at home. And while I have a decent programmable coffeemaker, it isn’t good enough. It could be better. WAY better.

If I had a brain implant, I would program it to notify the coffeemaker when I wake up. My brain implant would be able to read my brain waves. It would learn my sleep patterns and would detect the difference between sort-of awake, and definitely awake. No more setting the clock the night before. No more broken late-night promises that tomorrow will be the morning I get up – really get up – when the first drip of java hits the carafe. No more tar-thick brew at the bottom of the carafe when I finally stumble out of bed.

Picture it with me… there would be fresh coffee even on those holiday mornings when you hit snooze twenty-three times and sleep way past the coffee timer. Or when your children keep you up half the night. Or when your dog won’t stop barking at the goats (but then again… maybe that’s just me).

I’m sure there are more practical and beneficial uses for brain implants. But teaching my coffeemaker to read my mind is at the top of my list.

Stay tuned for the second thing I would do, if I had a brain implant…

, , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Larry Who on December 30, 2013 - 5:13 am

When you figure it how to do this, let me know. Being a farm boy of Dutch heritage from Illinois, I drink lots of coffee everyday.

• #2 by annaldavis on December 30, 2013 - 10:07 pm

You will be among the first to know, Larry!

2. #3 by memyselfandkids.com on December 30, 2013 - 11:16 pm

A little crazy about the coffee there aren’t you. I have to admit something to you. I don’t like coffee. Don’t hate me.

• #4 by annaldavis on December 31, 2013 - 4:25 pm

Of course I don’t hate you!! But I might try to convert you. ;-)

• #5 by memyselfandkids.com on December 31, 2013 - 5:19 pm

Funny story. My mother does not like beer and I don’t like coffee. We tried helping each other like the other beverages. I had coffee loaded with milk, sugar, etc. Well, to make a long story short, I still did not much care for it. Oh well.
        So, you might be wasting your time.

• #6 by annaldavis on January 7, 2014 - 1:12 am

Hmmmm…. my husband didn’t like coffee for 32 years and I finally got him to like it. Sort of.

So did your mother eventually like beer? Because I’ve tried to make myself like it, and can’t seem to develop the taste for it.

3. #8 by warrriorforchrist on January 4, 2014 - 1:16 am

If I had a brain implant, I would be very dangerous. :-D

• #9 by annaldavis on January 7, 2014 - 1:13 am

As would I. And everyone else probably. But I leave those big, scary thoughts for my novel-length writing. ;-)

4. #10 by warrriorforchrist on January 4, 2014 - 6:25 am

But thankfully, that’s all fantasy. I think humans in general could not be trusted with any outlandish power and the history of mankind provides enough proof.

• #11 by annaldavis on January 7, 2014 - 1:14 am

I agree. Although the progression of technology in the past few decades doesn’t seem to be slowing down…

5. #12 by Christian Ravera on January 30, 2014 - 3:21 pm

A little extra dose of smarts–biological or otherwise–might be just what this species needs.

• #13 by annaldavis on February 3, 2014 - 5:07 pm

Agreed. But no amount of extra smarts will solve the core problems of the human race…

6. #14 by tammy watch online on July 8, 2014 - 6:22 am

Melissa flips the script, as she tries to coerce an “Air Marshall” on a
    flight into a mile-high liaison. Ever since
    stealing scene after scene in Bridesmaids she has been a highly bankable comedy star.
    Her grandma Pearl (Sarandon, who no sane guy
    could ever envision as a grandmother), who has the things Tammy
    lacks like cash and a car, joins her on the trip.

1. If I had a Brain Implant… (Part 3) | Invisible Ink